VHF Marine Radio / SRC / Short Range Certificate
Update 23-04-2021 Lock down is extended until 11th May. Because of the Covid situation it could be the case that the Dutch Government extends the lockdown and course dates must be cancelled. If you do not wish to be hindered by that you can also do the SRC online course and the exam 1 on maximum of 2 exam candidates at Huizen Covid proof also during the lockdown.
If you want you certificate asap start the online course, do the exam. Keep in mind that the RYA needs time to proces the papers (3 to 5 weeks) and if you want to register your VHF at Agentschap Telecom (it takes 2 months or more!)
A 1 day SRC (Short Range Certificate)/VHF Marine Radio course (marifoon cursus) starting at 8.30 until 17.00 at Huizen, 25 minutes by car from Amsterdam RAI /Utrecht Overvecht /Almere – Stad After 17.00 the assessment/exam will start. In 1 day you can pass the SRC (Short Range Certificate license) assessment. All Corona/Covid 19 proof (see homepage and facebook).
A maximum of 12 students with a minimum age of 16 on the day of the course exam/assessment. If a group/club/company course is requested, please send an email.
The course is aimed gaining the knowledge and practical experience required for the SRC exam/assessment which is directly after the end of the course. The course and exam/assessment are in (basic) English. Do not be put off by the English language, it can be done if you have a basic knowledge of the language. It is not scary. The course is mostly practical, we will be using the VHF Radios most of the time. The certification/Licence to Operate is valid and accepted by the Dutch Authorities and can be issued to Dutch nationals as well. Registration based on the Short Range Certificate (Combi VHF, handheld VHF, EPIRB, AIS) can be done via the Agentschap Telecom
Money back policy if you find the English during the course to difficult and decide not to participate in the exam you course fee will be refunded (see details at price). Also, if you might fail the exam/assessment Safe Haven Training will provide the possibility to follow the course again at no extra cost (see details at price). So far no one has chosen not to do the exam.
Your required Preparations
- You will receive before the day-course the accompanying book which must be read/studied before the day course +
- Follow the refined preparations instructions you will receive (made by Safe Haven Training based on feedback of previous students)+
- There is, after reading the book, also an online tool with currently more than 140 questions available for students which is frequently updated based on feedback of previous students. It partly simulates the theory exam and addresses area’s where extra attention is required. This tool is very highly appreciated by students. It started with 30 questions but as students requested more and more questions it is now above 140. The online tool provides also information for the instructor regarding weaker area’s which will be extra addressed during the day course +
- follow this study plan and day- course and the chance of successfully passing the assessment is very very very very good.
- The vast majority of students does pass the exam/assessment. Although it can not be guaranteed, until know those students who followed the day course, have done all the preparations and fully completed the online tool 3 x have a succes rate of 99,9% for both the theory and practical examination. (So far 1 person did not pass the theory exam) Please study at home for a RYA minimum of 3 hours (needed for reading the book depending on your own reading/learning speed). For the ideal preparation you are advised to apply minimal 3 weeks before the day course and takes 20 hours (approx 1 hour a day) ! If you want to enrol just 1 week before a course, it is advised to take the next course. Go for a good preperation!
- The online preparation learning tool has 2 parts, the first part needs 1 hour for the first time, the second 30 minutes for the first time. You can the do them as much as you want (with 24 hours between each attempt). Second and third attempt generally go faster.
- There are also 12 training video’s available via youtube for the actual use of the training VHF which will be done by you during the day course yourself, viewing takes approximately 12 minutes.
You also need to bring a passport photo (not a self printed digital one) for your license to the course with your name written on the back.
- 245 euro (including coffee/tea/water and cookies, bread lunch, training by a certified SRC assessor (instructor), use of training VHF equipment, book, and VAT). Money back policy, Safe Haven Training will refund the full course costs if you find the English too difficult, as long as you decide not to participate in the exam/assessment. So far no one has chosen for this option.
- + The assessment cost GBP 60 (+/_ 72 euro) must be paid in advance by the student directly to the RYA. This can be done by credit card via the following link. SRC Exam Payment. After payment you will receive a payment confirmation by email which you must bring to the course. Without pre-payment you can not participate in the assessment/exam. The RYA in the UK issues the certification (not Safe Haven Training) which will be send to you via British postal services. We do not provide a money back policy for the exam fee, as this has been paid by you directly to the RYA. If you have done your home study, followed the day-course but failed the exam/assessment Safe Haven Training will give you the possibility to follow the day course for free one time again. In this case you yourself will have to pay the exams fee again, as this is directly paid to the RYA (and not to Safe Haven Training).
The SRC course, in order to use a VHF marine radio you need to have a personal license to operate the VHF Marine Radio. Also your VHF Marine Radio must be registered. In the Netherlands you can pass either the Dutch Marifoon exam (not available in English) or the Marcom B exams (uses nautical English) or SRC (Short Range Certificate) exam/assessment to gain your license to operate a VHF Marine Radio. Our VHF Marine course provides the training for the SRC (Short Range Certificate) exam/assessment in (basic) English, which is directly followed by an exam/assessment (in basic English) in 1 day. If you pass the exam you will gain your license to operate a VHF Marine Radio. The SRC certification is valid and accepted by the Dutch Authorities and can be issued to Dutch nationals as well. Registration for a Dutch Radio License can be done via the Agentschap Telecom. There has been frauduleus actions by acquiring a Dutch ship radio licenses by foreigners who have no connection to the NL whatsoever . There was 1 commercial company who held 1.500 licenses. These have all been revoked ultimately 2019 by the Agentschap Telecom. Also this resulted in more checks for new requests by foreigners not living in the NL and applying for a Dutch Ship Radio License. If you do not live in the NL but request a Dutch Ship Radio Licence you have to provide sufficient evidence for a Dutch connection that gives legitimacy for issuing a Dutch Ship Radio Licence. The Agentschap Telecom decides if there is sufficient evidence before granting a Dutch Ship Radio Licence.
You are expected to do study at home by reading the VHF course book (that will be send to you directly after receiving your payment) and follow the provide refined preparation instructions.
- Correct use of VHF DSC (Digital Selective Calling) D class equipment
- Correct procedure for sending DSC Alert & Announcements
- Correct usage of low or high power for voice messages
- Using correct format of messages
- Information over GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress & Safety System), (Search and Rescue Transponder), EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon), PLB (Personal Locator Beacon), AIS (Automatic Identification System), MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity), MARS (Maritime Mobile Access and Retrieval System), ATIS (Automatic Transmitter Identification System)
- Mayday, PanPan, Sécurité messages
The exam/assessment It starts after the day course. It has a theoretical exam part, a combination of 16 questions (multiple choice and essay questions) and a practical exam. If you passed the theory exam the practical exam follows, using the VHF radio and completing the instructions of/questions by the assessor/examiner. In fact you do and show what you have learned during the course day to the examiner/assessor.
The SRC license to operate fits in-between the Dutch Marifoon Certificaat/Marcom B and Marcom A. You can registrar your VHF, mobile VHF, EPIRB, AIS based on the Short Range Certificate.
English. The book, course and exam/ assessment are in English. We use basic nautical English. You do not need to be scared. As a reassurance we provide a money back policy for the full course costs if you find it too difficult during the day-course, as long as you decide not to participate in the exam/assessment. We do not provide a money back policy for the exam fee; this has been paid by you directly to the RYA.
Check page training dates for course options.
Via the page training dates, select a course and date and complete the online enrolment. Payment via check out (ideal). If you do not have a Dutch bankaccount, please send us an email for your enrolment. We do not accept creditcards as the this would mean we have to increase the prices with the creditcard fees.
Hotel. If you are looking for an hotel during the course please look under FAQ for more information
After receiving payment the book will be send to you by mail. Please keep in mind that PostNL does not deliver everyday the mail to you. Sometimes delays occur.
Online course. There is also the possibility to follow the online course (although we advise to do the day course if possible due to the actual practise you will have with the VHF and GMDSS equipment ) . The vast majority of people do home study and follow this day-course.
Safe Haven Training advises anyone to do the SRC day course. In our opinion handling the actual VHF and touching/seeing items like EPIRB, SART, Navtex is not the same as only seeing it online. Our goal is a very very very high exam passing rate of our students and we feel best to provide this via the SRC day course.
Companies / Clubs There are possibilities to give this training at your location, please send an email with your inquiry for the possibilities.
Safe Haven Training also takes the SRC exam for online students. Please send an email to make an appointment. You must already know how the VHF works. Also the company where you booked your online course must provide us with the required SRC exam eligibility sticker. Without it in our possession we can not take or book your exam.
WE CAN NOT INSTRUCT TO STUDENTS OF THE ONLINE COURSE BEFORE THE SRC EXAM.