RYA SRC Online + course (RYA Short Range Certificate / VHF Marine Radio)
The RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate (SRC) is the minimum qualification required to operate marine VHF radio equipment on a UK flagged vessel and is also recognised by the Dutch Agentschap Telecom . This includes both fixed and handheld equipment with and without Digital Selective Calling (DSC). It is obtained by successfully completing an SRC exam conducted at an RYA Recognised Training Centre.
The SRC course may be taken in a classroom or online through an RYA Recognised Training Centre. There is no age limit for taking the SRC course although exam candidates must be 16 years old on the day of the exam.
Course subjects include:
- routine operation of marine VHF radio including Digital Selective Calling
- the correct VHF channels (frequencies) to be used for each type of communication
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- ship to shore communication
- practical use of Marine VHF DSC radios
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)
You will need:
- Internet connection (broadband or 3G). Charges may apply for 3G.
- Microphone and speakers/headphones.
- Pop-ups enabled
- PC running Windows 10 minimum with the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Firefox.
- Mac running 10.13 minimum with the latest version of Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox
- iPad running iOS 11 minimum using Safari.
- Android tablet running 4.1 minimum using Google Chrome.
We strongly recommend trying the SRC Taster Course before buying the full course to check that it will work on your device. If the taster works (disangage your pop up blockers first) you can expect that the course will work. Otherwise you are welcome on the SRC day course 😊.
The SRC certification is valid and accepted by the Dutch Authorities and can be issued to Dutch nationals as well. Registration for a Dutch Radio License can be done via the Agentschap Telecom. There has been frauduleus actions by acquiring a Dutch ship radio licenses by foreigners who have no connection to the NL whatsoever . There was 1 commercial company who held 1.500 licenses. These have all been revoked ultimately 2019 by the Agentschap Telecom. Also this resulted in more checks for new requests by foreigners not living in the NL and applying for a Dutch Ship Radio License. If you do not live in the NL but request a Dutch Ship Radio License you have to provide sufficient evidence for a Dutch connection that gives legitimacy for issuing a Dutch Ship Radio License. The Agentschap Telecom decides if there is sufficient evidence before granting a Dutch Ship Radio License. exam
The exam is a combination of a written theory test and practical assessment in the use of Marine VHF DSC radios. Candidates must be 16 years or older on the day of the exam.
SRC Online + course (all in English)
- The Online course
- The RYA SRC course book
The + =
- 15 pages preparation instructions (to be read first)
- > 130 practise questions on a online tool, can be done as many times you want
- Training videos for the use of the ICOM you will use during an exam with Safe Haven Training, including Distress Mayday and Mayday relay.
- 1 hour practise on the training VHF before the start of the exam (no instruction as by RYA regulations, instruction and assessment are strictly separated)
- You are welcome on the free yearly return/open day to practise what ever you want (where else can you practise to press the red Distress button and mayday call and message )
- 195 euro including VAT
- 60 GBP (approx 72 euro, GBP/EUR rate depending) for the exam costs and the actual SRC (when you pass the exam/assessment) directly to be paid to the RYA
You will receive the invoice (you can also make directly payment to proces the request quicker). After receipt of your payment you will be provided (within 24 hours ) the details to start the online course and other material.
After completing the online course you can make an appointment for your SRC exam. This can be done at an RYA RTC with the recognition for SRC. You need to contact the RTC and inform us, so we can send the exam papers to the chosen RYA RTC. Safe Haven Training is authorised to take the SRC assessment/exam. This can always be done at 17.00 on dates where an SRC day course is scheduled. Also it is possible to do the exam after any other course has finished. Location is always Ambachtsweg 59, 1271 AL Huizen. In any case you need to make an appointment to confirm your exam/assessment at info@SafeHavenTraining.nl
Safe Haven Training expects any student to prepare themselves sufficiently (good) for the assessment/exam, all available videos must have been viewed.
To enable access to your online course we need to share some of your personal data with the RYA via your user profile in www.ryainteractive.org. This learning management website is hosted and maintained by a third party called Learning Pool, who will not use your personal information for any reason other than enabling your course.
Your name and email address will be entered on www.ryainteractive.org in order to create your user account. On your first access to the site, you will be asked to enter your address and date of birth. You will have access to the site for one year in order to complete your online course. During this period, your personal information will be held on the website by Learning Pool and be available to this training centre and the RYA for the purpose of managing your course.
Instructional support will be provided by this training centre for a period of 1 year from the date of your course booking.
On completion of your course, your name, email, date of birth and address will be transferred to the RYA’s central database for the purpose of recording details of the course and any certification you gain as a result of it. This information allows the RYA to record your certification, to update any records they may already hold about you or your qualifications and to verify your certificate if required.
After one year from the date of your enrolment on a course, your user account will be removed from www.ryainteractive.org.
Full details of how the RYA will deal with your personal information will be displayed when you first access www.ryainteractive.org.
For the duration of your access to the site, your data will be held in accordance with the RYA Interactive Data Policy, Terms and Conditions.